Help With A Federal Agency

If you can’t get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or feel that your issue has not been resolved properly, my office is here to help. While I cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, my staff and I can often intervene on a person’s behalf to answer questions, find solutions, or just cut through the red tape.

Please note that regardless of which federal agency you need assistance with, the Privacy Act of 1974 requires that my staff and I have written authorization before we can obtain information about an individual’s case. We must have your signature to proceed with assisting you with this type of request. Below you will find links to varying printable authorization release forms that you will need to sign and mail to my Mentor office to open a case.

You can also submit your information electronically by emailing your signed release form to, along with any related documents as attachments.

logo of All Other AgenciesAll Other Agencies

logo of Department of Homeland SecurityDepartment of Homeland Security

logo of Internal Revenue ServiceInternal Revenue Service

logo of Social Security AdministrationSocial Security Administration

logo of Department of Veterans AffairsDepartment of Veterans Affairs

logo of Department of StateDepartment of State

logo of Small Business AdministrationSmall Business Administration

logo of State of OhioState of Ohio