Coronavirus Resource Links
Sign up for my E-Newsletter
sign up for for my
COVID-19 Resources for Veterans
As the son of a World War II veteran, I know full-well that after asking our servicemembers to risk their lives to protect our country, we have the responsibility to ensure they have what they need to live healthy, happy and successful lives when they return home. Our commitment to fulfilling that responsibility cannot waver during times of crisis. That's why I traveled to Washington amid the COVID-19 pandemic last month to ensure the CARES Act passed the House and got sent to the President's desk to be into law. This bipartisan legislation included approximately $19.6 billion for the Veterans Health Administration to ensure the VA has the proper tools and resources needed to help veterans combat this pandemic and meet the increased demand for healthcare services at VA facilities across the country.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the VA has implemented an aggressive public health response to protect and care for Veterans and their families, as well as health care providers, and staff. The VA is working directly with the CDC and other federal partners to monitor the outbreak of the virus. The VA has administered over 18,934 COVID-19 tests nationwide, while taking aggressive steps to prevent COVID-19 transmission among our nation's heroes.
- FAQ’s for Veterans during COVID-19, click here.
- Learn more about the VA’s COVID-19 public health response here.
- Learn more about the VA’s telehealth services here.
- Learn more about the VA’s mental health services here.
To find the operating hours and phone numbers for the VA’s Northeast Ohio health care systems click here. To call your regional office for help with benefits or to request a video appointment, call 800-827-1000 toll-free. Veterans looking to connect to local VA staff by phone can find their closest VA facility here. The contact information for County Veterans Service Offices in OH-14 is listed below:
- Cuyahoga County: (216)698-2600 or visit http://cuyahogavets.org/
- Ashtabula: (440) 964-8324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lake County: (440) 350-2567 or email email@example.com or visit https://www.lakecountyohio.gov/veterans/
- Geauga: (440) 279-1860 or visit https://vets.co.geauga.oh.us
- Trumbull: (330) 675-2585 or visit http://veterans.co.trumbull.oh.us
- Summit: (330) 643-2830 or visit http://www.vscsummitoh.us/about-vsc/contact-us/
- Portage: (330) 297-3545 or visit https://www.co.portage.oh.us/veterans-services
Additionally, I know that many servicemembers, veterans and their dependents rely on the GI Bill for educational support and assistance. To ensure that those who depend on the GI bill are not stripped of their benefits due to schools moving classes online to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the President signed S. 3503 into law on March 21, 2020. This important bill allows the VA to treat certain educational programs converted to distance learning by reason of emergencies and health-related situations in the same manner as programs of education pursued at educational institutions. You can learn more about the bill here.
As always, if you are a veteran in need of assistance with accessing benefits or other services, please don't hesitate to reach out to my office at (440) 352-3939. Thank you for your service and God bless.